A bed foundation is whatever your mattress sits on. Box springs, bed foundations and bed frames are base components designed to support mattresses and protect them from wear and tear. For many sleepers, their mattress foundation consists of a set of wooden box springs. Other mattress foundations trade box springs for a platform of wooden slats.
Every mattress foundation / bed frame choice is gonna have consequences for your sleep. If your current mattress isn’t supported properly, you most probably aren’t sleeping well. To avoid waking in pain and to get the most out of your mattress, you need the right bed foundation. If your bed is supported properly, your body will thank you.
There are a few factors that can make your bed base more expensive, e.g. some foundations have headboards and/or extra storage drawers.
Adjustable beds, which can be raised at the head or foot to create different angles for sleeping, are the more expensive options. They are very important for specific kinds of sleepers, e.g. sleep apnea, people with poor circulation, and other sleep problems. In exchange, you’ll get higher-quality sleep over time.
Box springs are wooden boxes with metal springs, and they’re often designed to pair specifically with traditional spring coil mattresses. This is because spring beds need the box spring to give a little to support the pressure of our bodies. Box springs aren’t ideal for supporting other mattress types. Since they don’t provide even support to your body, they don’t work well with memory foam, latex, and hybrid mattresses. Box springs can help to extend the lifespan of your mattress, preventing sagging and deterioration.
Mattress Foundations / Bed Frames
Mattress foundations are designed for today’s high-tech memory foam, latex, and hybrid mattresses, which don’t require the same type of support as traditional coil spring mattresses.
Exactly like the box springs, mattress foundations are also made from metal or sturdy wood and covered in breathable fabric. However, mattress foundations don’t include coiled springs, and they’re simply a solid frame box for supporting your mattress and raise it to a more appropriate height off the floor.
Mattress foundations come in the same dimensions as box springs. Their standard height is 9 inches, or you can go lower with a 4 or 6-inch version.
The first thing that will decide the quality of your bed frame is the material that you’re going to select. Wood, leather, metal, and fabric come in different designs and with different advantages and disadvantages. You should select the right material according to your budget. Wooden and leather frames are more expensive than metal frames.
You should also consider the size of the bed that you need. If you’ve got a small room, a large bed is obviously gonna take too much space. You want a frame that looks part of your room. Different manufacturers provide different sizing standards, so do read the labels to ensure that you get the right size.
If you’re someone who moves around a lot, a big bed will certainly make the relocation difficult for you. Furthermore, there is a big risk of it being damaged in the process. There is plenty of good-looking bed frames that not only come in top quality but are also light in weight.
Bed frames come in different styles and have different usage, too. You can find bed frames with or without storage, with headboards, footboards, boxes, and more. You just need to set your requirements for your unique place. Beds are different for a bedroom, guest room, and for your kids’ bedroom. You’ll need to select according to the room in which you’re gonna place the bed.
- Strong and durable, the Puffy Bed Frame is built to last with heavy-duty hardware, and provides quality you can feel – a solid base for your mattress.
- The high-quality soft cloth fabric on the Puffy Bed Frame can be cleaned to ensure it stays looking vibrant and fresh for years to come.
- The Puffy Bed Frame is manufactured with premium fabric and stitched perfectly to ensure it feels and looks luxurious.
- No need for a box spring! The Puffy Bed Frame includes premium wooden slats for a more supportive and comfortable base for your mattress.
- Delivered straight to your door, you’ll be able to assemble the Puffy Bed Frame at home with a very easy-to-follow assembly guide.
- The Puffy Bed Frame has size options ranging from Full to California King. No matter how much space you have in your room, there is a Puffy Bed Frame that fits exactly the size and style of your bedroom.
- Watching TV or reading is extremely comfortable on the Puffy Bed Frame, because its padded headboard provides extra support for your neck and back while you relax and sit back.
- The Puffy Bed Frame is upholstered and styled with a cool, neutral gray soft cloth that works with any bedroom color scheme. It is designed with a modern contemporary look in mind.
- The Puffy Bed Frame is expertly constructed to provide a noise-free sleep experience, because squeaky bed frames do really disturb sleep.
An adjustable base might be the best option for a bed foundation because it can move the head and feet up or down using a remote control, and this is a great service for avid readers in bed, severe snorers, and those who just love customization everywhere.
Why Getting a Mattress Foundation?
If you’re gonna get a foundation, get one that’s right specifically for your bed. If you have a spring coil mattress, you should get a box spring that can absorb some of the pressure. Otherwise, a sturdy, even bed foundation is best. A proper foundation will limit wear and tear on your mattress, thus extending the lifespan of your bed.
Airflow in a foundation is also important, otherwise, you’ll wake up in a sweaty, hot mess. Appropriately spaced slats let air move between the floor and your mattress, and box springs and foundations should be covered in breathable material for the same purpose. Adequate airflow keeps both you and your bed, cool all night.
Finally, mattress foundations help to keep your bed away from allergens and dust that might exist on the floor of your bedroom.
How to Shop for a Mattress Foundation
- While looking for a foundation for your mattress, first check the warranty and make sure you know which types of bed foundations/box spring will void your warranty.
- Decide how high you want your mattress to sit. You see, your foundation is gonna add to the overall height at which you sit and sleep on your bed.
- Consider that box springs can’t bend. You may need a more lightweight, flexible foundation (or slats if you live in a small flat).
- Look for features that suit your unique requirements. Consider head/footboard/ height attachments, if you have them.
- Consider the bodyweight of everyone who will be sleeping, sitting, and jumping on your bed. That, along with the weight of your mattress, will determine your foundation’s weight limits.
Easy to Assemble – Easy to Transport – Easy to Store
- Choice of 8-inch standard or 5.5-inch low profile sizes – same price
- Made from North West Spruce kiln-dried Premium Wood
- Luxury Organic Cover with Quilted Border
- More Slats for Maximum Support – Latex and Memory Foam Mattresses
- Natural Air Flow, all slats less than 3-inch apart
- Easy Assembly in 20 minutes
- No Tools Required
- Supports up to 1,500 lbs
- Available in all Sizes
- Shipped FedEx
- Slats run side to side for extra support
- Fits on standard-sized bed frames
Better Foundation For Your Latex & Memory Foam Mattress
Memory foam and latex mattresses require more support than the traditional innerspring mattress. At a bare minimum, there should be no more than 3-inch between slats. The benefit of more slats will be realized in the later life of your new mattress, as both will last much longer.
Warranty & Shipping
- U.S. Box Spring warrants your U.S. Box Spring Wood Frame Foundation for a period of one year against defects in workmanship and materials.
- These Orthopedic Foundations have a universal design that can be used with any mattress and therefore is not returnable.
- Free Shipping Throughout Contiguous U.S. / Ships to your door for free / Ships within 48 hours
9 Great Benefits of An Orthopedic Bed Foundation
- Constructed of sturdy wood (no particle board) for maximum support
- Covered with an attractive organic cotton fabric
- Heat-treated – not chemical-treated
- The euro-slatted design provides greater breath-ability for your mattress
- Proper support to ensure your mattress lasts a lifetime
- Perfectly aligned to prevent mattress damage over time
- Industry-standard 8″ height raises your mattress to a comfortable position
- Heavy-duty design – it can support up to 1,200 pounds of weight
- Easily assembled in minutes (WATCH THE VIDEO BELOW!).