Latex Coil Hybrid mattresses offer several benefits, namely superior support and conforming abilities, better than average motion isolation, more temperature neutral than all-foam mattresses, available superior edge support, and wide variety of firmness options. However, they’re heavier than innerspring and also the all-foam mattresses, and are normally more expensive than the traditional pure innerspring and also the average all-foam mattresses. Their support core is normally made of pocketed coils and their comfort layers are at least 3 (or more) inches of Viscoelastic foam, polyfoam, or other materials (micro-coils, buckling column gel, etc.).
Here we review 5 major brands (Select Sleep EZ vs EcoTerra vs Voila vs Luxury Bliss PlushBeds vs Cedar Brentwood) and list them as per their retail prices, from low to high. Check also our Latex Coil Hybrid Mattress Buyers Guide, below.
14″ Select Sleep Latex Coil Hybrid [BEST BUY]
At 14″ high, this outstanding mattress features 2 different comfort levels, medium plush, and firm – simply by turning it over.
It has 3″ of natural latex on plush top, and 2″ of natural latex on the firm side, exceeding any similar mattress in the U.S. The quilted cover (on both sides) is made from organic cotton and quilted to New Zealand Joma wool. At the heart of this Select Sleep EZ mattress are 1188 elite pocket coils with reinforced edge support. The motion isolating coils expand your sleeping surface and eliminate any rolling effect, commonly found in name brand mattresses at three times the price.
Select Sleep Perfect Marriage with Adjustable Bases
Mattresses used together with adjustable foundations need to contour to the base when raising the head or foot. The Select Sleep latex hybrid bed gently adjusts to any featured position your split king adjustable base might offer.
Select Sleep Natural Latex Rubber
Select Sleep Hybrid features 3″+2″=5″ of 100% natural latex rubber, made from sustainably harvested resources. It is an eco-friendly material offering durability, resilience, and temperature control, without incorporating any synthetic, petroleum-based polyurethane foam whatsoever.
Select Sleep Quantum Edge Elite Coils
Quantum Edge steel perimeter gives your bed a consistent level of support all the way to the edge.
- Reduces, or eliminates, the feeling of roll-off
- 26% more durable than memory foam
- Ideal for adjustable bases
- 8″ Base with up to 1,188 individual pocket coils
Select Sleep Joma Wool and Organic Cotton
The Select Sleep Hybrid bed is a dual-comfort 2-sided mattress. Choose between a firmer feel on one side, or flip it over for a plush feel. Quilted on both sides with New Zealand Joma wool to an organic cotton 4-way stretch fabric. This latex hybrid mattress is natural, healthy, extremely comfortable… and 120-night home sleep trial to prove it.
11″ EcoTerra Latex Coil Hybrid Mattress
The Eco Terra Natural Latex Coil Springs Hybrid Mattress allows the sleeper to experience the contouring and buoyancy of latex.
Natural Talalay latex has been incorporated in the form of a 3″ layer so that the sleeper finds total ease while he/she is resting. Latex contains the unique property of reducing the discomfort of resistance at various pressure points of your body. A network of multiple fabric-encased 8″ coils inside provides great support and also accounts for the necessary lift in bed for keeping the sleeper’s spine in perfect alignment, without creating any heavy feeling.
Eco Terra Materials, Size and Design
The Eco Terra 11″ luxury latex mattress comes with a rich 3″ layer of 100% natural Talalay latex. Inside, there is also a premium individually-wrapped 8″ coil core which has been encased in fabric, and a 100% organic cotton cover. Side sleepers will find this 11″ mattress suitable to their needs because this bed is medium firm. Classy pinstripe organic cotton fabric has been added to this bed and quilted with soft foam at the back for the right amount of buoyancy and that extra luxury you require. And being organic implies that its comfort layer is manufactured with purely 100% hypoallergenic, plant-derived latex.
Eco Terra Product Qualities
Unlike the memory foam mattresses, this latex hybrid bed won’t sink in, and you’ll never get the feeling of being in quicksand. And its motion isolation qualities means that its fabric-encased coils reduce any kind of disturbance caused by the partner’s movements. They’re also responsible for long-lasting relaxation because each coil is calibrated for generating increased support and getting rid of painful pressure points. The Eco Terra mattress is extremely comfortable for all sleep positions.
Other Eco Terra Features
No irritation causing chemicals or harsh dyes have been used in its manufacturing process and its fabric is made of 100% organic soft cotton, well-known for its high breath-ability properties.
11″ Voila Latex Coil Hybrid Mattress
Voila Materials, Size and Design
Its balanced support is created with the help of 768-count, 5-zone pocket coil technology used in this mattress. This bed has also a triple edge side-wall support. A combination of suppleness and firmness is achieved by combining the gel-infused memory foam with its latex layer. The porous nature of natural latex allows great airflow throughout the mattress and will keep you cool while sleeping.
Voila Product Qualities
Voila is above par with its high standards of CertiPUR-US flexible polyurethane foam qualifications. If you eventually feel that the firmness of the mattress is what you need and you want a less or more firm surface to sleep on, Voila offers a free comfort exchange.
Voila Other Features
In case the customer is not fully happy during the 100-night sleep trial, you’ll receive a full refund and free returns. There is also a full 10-year warranty.
12″ Luxury Bliss Latex Coil Hybrid Mattress
The Luxury Bliss handmade mattress features a comfort system with a top layer of GOTS certified organic wool and 2 bottom layers of organic Dunlop latex. The cover is made of organic cotton and the support core is manufactured from organic Dunlop latex, and it comes in 9-inch, 10-inch, and 12-inch designs. There are also 5 firmness optional levels, which can be adjusted by simply unzipping the cover and swapping layers at any time, customized right in your own home.
Why the Luxury Bliss is the Mattress for You
- 100-Night Money Back Guarantee: every Luxury Bliss natural latex mattress comes with a 100-night sleep trial, offering free shipping and free returns.
- 100-Night In-home Comfort Exchanges: if your Talalay latex mattress layer is either too soft or too firm for any reason whatsoever, you’ll receive a free, 100-night in-home comfort adjustment with free shipping fees. Sleep better or receive all of your money back.
- 25-Year Manufacturer’s Warranty: you’ll be guaranteed that your organic latex mattress will be repaired or replaced should it be deemed defective because of faulty workmanship or structural defects for a period of 25 years.
- 5 firmness options (soft, medium, medium-firm, firm, extra-firm): MEDIUM Plush Organic Dunlop Latex – ideal for side sleepers and most sleepers (80% of customers choose MEDIUM). And FIRM Plush Organic Dunlop Latex – ideal for 275+ pounds and stomach or back sleepers (20% of customers choose FIRM).
- Breathable comfort, due to the soft knitted organic cotton cover which offers unrestricted airflow and moisture absorption to keep you sleeping dry and cool. And because it’s certified organic, it means that it was grown sustainably, without the use of any dangerous herbicides or pesticides.
- Temperature regulating, due to the organic New Zealand wool. Up to 10 pounds of certified organic wool in every latex mattress not only provides exceptional soothing support, but it breathes naturally and helps your body maintain a well-regulated cool and comfortable temperature throughout the night.
- Exceptional pressure relief, due to the organic Dunlop latex (from Arpico) which is calibrated to a different firmness, so you can dial in with precision your perfect level of softness and support guaranteed to last for many years. To that effect, simply unzip the cover and swap layers at any time right in your own home, to adjust your unique firmness/comfort level.
(12+3)” Cedar (Brentwood) Latex Coil Hybrid Mattress
Total Mattress Height: 15″ | Topper Height: 3″ | Mattress Height: 12″
Cedar Topper Materials
- The Organic Cotton Cover is eco-friendly and quilted with a natural fire barrier of hydrated silica sand.
- Untreated 100% New Zealand Joma wool allows for air circulation, wicks away moisture, and regulates temperature for comfortable sleep throughout every season. Wool Volume: 400 grams/m2
- 100% Certified Organic Cotton Batting in its quilted panels and borders. The cotton is sourced from Texas.
- 2″ 100% GOLS Certified Organic Latex Layer available in a medium plush feel (firm without the topper), made with 100% GOLS organic certified latex and free of synthetic latex or blends. The latex is made with the original manufacturing process for latex, i.e. Dunlop which is more energy efficient and more eco-friendly.
Cedar Mattress Materials
- The Organic Cotton Cover is hand-tufted (with 100% wool rosettes) to secure all of the layers without the use of chemical adhesives. It’s eco-friendly and quilted with a natural fire barrier of hydrated silica sand.
- GOTS Organic Cotton Fiber Quilting is utilized in the quilted panels and borders, sourced from India, in the quilted panels and borders. Volume: 400 grams/m2 .
- 2 Layers of Untreated New Zealand Wool wicks away moisture, allows for air circulation, and regulates temperature for comfortable sleep through every season. Wool Volume: 800 grams/m2
- Natural Fire Retardant: a natural fire barrier of hydrated silica sand.
- 1″ of Alpaca Wool (from the Netherlands) because it is a silky and lustrous natural fiber. It is not only soft and luxurious but also naturally flame resistant and hypoallergenic.
- 1.5″ of Articulated and Zoned 100% GOLS Organic Certified Latex layer is computer designed and cut into 3 targeted zones. These zones increase the surface area and allow for greater heat dissipation, as well as precise comfort for your lower back, legs, and shoulders. The latex is made with the original process for latex, i.e. the Dunlop process, more eco-friendly and more energy efficient.
- 8″ Individually Wrapped Support Coils: this layer allows precise body contouring for optimal support. Edge retention coils allow you to sit or sleep at the edges without rolling off and Reinforced coils in the lumbar region give your lower back the support it needs. Isolated springs were chosen for reducing noise, partner disturbance and motion transfer. Coil counts: Queen: 1130, King: 1414, Cal King: 1384
- 1/2″ of Coconut Husk Support Layer: an eco-friendly and sustainable layer coconut husk is bonded with GOLS certified natural latex by hand-tufting and without the use of glue. Coco fiber is usually discarded as waste, but with the Cedar mattress, it is re-purposed for its antimicrobial properties and air circulation.
Benefits of Latex Coil Hybrid Mattresses
This type of mattress is associated with innerspring beds with its coils that are designed for support, blended with latex.
The materials used for latex hybrid beds tend to vary depending on the manufacturer, but it usually contains the following layers: a steel support using the coil system of an innerspring mattress, a comfort layer which is made from latex, cooling materials to help disperse the heat evenly throughout the bed, and a mattress topper for extra support.
Most mattress brands use synthetic or blended latex that is not 100% natural. They generally pair their latex comfort layers with other non-natural materials (e.g. polyurethane foam, cooling gels, or Visco elastic memory foam), as well as substances that are known to impact human health (e.g. adhesives which are used to bind their layers together and also flame retardants). All mattress brands we’ve reviewed above use 100% natural latex.
When sleeping on this kind of bed you should expect to experience the contouring comfort offered by latex, but also with the bounce that is expected of an innerspring bed. And since there is a coil system at the core of this bed, you can expect it to be cooler to sleep on at night compared to other types of mattresses.
Those who do not want to sink deep into their beds because of the latex foam will find the presence of coils to help to create a buoyancy when they sleep.
Furthermore, latex coil hybrid mattresses tend to feel cooler because of the spring system they use. Air gets circulated within the core of the mattress which helps to alleviate the heat getting trapped in this type of bed.
And the pocketed coil design of innerspring mattresses, which is used in hybrids, will reduce the off-gassing which is typical in many new mattresses. You will not be bothered by a chemical smell when you lie down on this type of bed.
However, latex coil hybrid mattresses can be difficult to move because of their typical construction. The weight of their coil system is the reason why these mattresses will require another set of hands in getting it from the entrance door to the bedroom.
When you shop for a latex hybrid mattress, consider the ones offering Individually Encased Coils – because such coils will respond independently, providing a variety of body types with personalized comfort, increased pressure relief while limiting the amount of motion transfer, and increased airflow.
And depending on the construction of your latex hybrid mattress, you may be subjected to motion transfer which can disrupt your sleep at night. With so many mattresses on the market, you’ll have to look out for a true latex hybrid from a reputable brand, and that’s why we’ve selected for you Select Sleep EZ, EcoTerra, Voila, Luxury Bliss PlushBeds, and Cedar Brentwood Home, where the issue of motion transfer is central to the design of their beds.
Finally, there is the important issue of Comfort of your bed. This is clearly a matter of individual preference – so don’t expect what others enjoy will be suitable for you. There are some who prefer mattresses that are neither very soft nor super firm, while others pay lots of attention to the firmness of their new mattress. The best way to know which type of bed is ideal for you is to select a brand that offers a sleep home trial. This is the best way for you to get a feel for the mattress that you are sleeping on without the fear of buyers remorse.
The Latex Coil Hybrid Mattress Buying Guide
1) Choose According to Your Sleeping Position
Some of us like to sleep on the stomach, most are side sleepers and a few sleep on the back. The choice of a new mattress should mostly be based on the favorite sleeping position of the individual.
2) Look for the Placement of Latex within the Mattress
Essentially, the mattress manufacturers have the option of inserting latex in 2 ways.
The first is the comfort layer with foam over latex. In this instance, the percentage of latex placed into the mattress is low and the purpose here is bringing more suppleness and comfort, rather than firmness.
The second is the support layer with latex over foam. In this instance, latex forms the top layer and foam is placed beneath latex. It is mainly designed for sleepers who are looking for solutions to their intense back pain and do not want a bed that sinks in. This type of layering results in more firmness and support.
3) Home Sleep Trial Period
The best way to shop for a new mattress is by trying it out at your home. A home sleep trial period is clearly a must. If the firmness, quality, or bounce, doesn’t satisfy the consumer, there should be an option of returning it back to the manufacturer within a specified time period – but never less than 90 days.
4) Mattress Warranty
Generally, latex coil hybrid mattresses offer a lifespan of 10 to 12 years. Thus, make sure that the warranty period of the selected new mattress is close to such duration bracket.
5) Certifications (for GOLS and Organic)
Certifications are a legitimate way to assure the durability and quality of the new mattress. Top brands offer the bed with genuine certifications as a proof to their high-grade mattresses. Check below in greater detail the importance of both the standard “GOLS” and the regulated term “Organic”, in terms of certifications.
What is GOLS Organic Latex?
Organic latex must be certified to the Global Organic Latex Standard (GOLS) to contain 95% or greater organic latex sap — the highest possible standard.
Organic latex is responsibly grown on organic certified rubber tree farms without the use of persistent herbicides and pesticides. Then, it is processed in organic certified facilities.
Organic latex is a sustainable and renewable resource that is far better for the environment and human health.
Organic latex always includes a full chain of custody for consumer transparency and trust, and must always be marketed with a license number under the GOLS certification logo from the certifying body, such as Control Union.
For obvious reasons, GOLS Organic Certified Latex is more expensive than natural, synthetic or blended latex, and is far more scarce. Finished products and producers are listed in the GOTS Public Database. Customers must be educated to make sure that GOLS Organic Latex claims are backed by public certifications.
What is an Organic Mattress?
Organic is a highly regulated term by the FTC and the USDA’s National Organic Program. When any mattress brand claims to be Organic, it does mean all of the materials used that can be organic, are actually organic.
An Organic Mattress uses only materials — typically organic latex, wool, and cotton — that have been certified under the Global Organic Latex Standard (GOLS) and the Global Organic Textile Standard (GOTS). Both standards are endorsed by the USDA’s National Organic Program (NOP), regardless of their country of origin, for purposes of social responsibility and ecology.
Those standards mean that: (1) all of the factories that make the natural material components and finished products follow organic practices and are also organic certified; (2) all of the materials are certified to be organic, and (3) the finished product is organic certified. It must also maintain ethical business practices. Three levels of certification are required.
What is an Organic Certified Latex Hybrid Mattress?
The comfort fabric ticking and comfort layers are made with GOLS organic certified Dunlop latex, GOTS organic certified wool and GOTS organic certified cotton. Talalay latex, which is natural latex, but does not meet organic standards, is not used. Polyurethane, viscoelastic memory foams or cooling gels are also not used.
The innerspring support unit is made in the U.S. from recycled steel, and can not be made from organic materials.
Looking to buy a new mattress? Check out our Mattress Buyers Guide, here.